Campus Security takes action after Chabad shooting in Poway, CA

Alex Appel, Editor-in-Chief

Chabad at Union expressed safety concerns in an email to its members after the shooting in a Chabad synagogue in Poway, California on Saturday. This attack happened on the last day of Passover, one of the holiest holidays in the Jewish faith that celebrates the liberation of Jews from Egypt. One woman was killed and three people were injured.

Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein, whom Chabad at Union Co-Directors Shmuly and Laiky Rubin, referred to as their “friend and colleague” in their email, was among the injured. Patron and long-term member of the Chabad in Poway Lori Gilbert-Kaye was killed protecting Goldstein from the gunman.

The Chabad regional organization expressed some concerns about the security of regional Chabad houses following the attack.

Director of Campus Safety Christopher Hayen said that he, along with Associate Director Thomas Constantine are in “close contact” with the Jewish Federation of Northeastern New York. The two parties meet regularly to share information and concerns. According to Hayen, members of Campus Safety regularly monitor the perimeters of Seward Place properties, which the Chabad at Union house is located.

“In the spirit of Passover, the Festival of Freedom, may we each commit to working to bring security, healing and unity to our fractured nation,” wrote Shmuly and Laiky Rubin.