Union hosts a virtual convocation to begin the academic year

Courtesy of Union College

A shot from the virtual convocation.

Sydney Lewis, News Editor

Union College’s 2020 academic year was kicked off by a virtual convocation ceremony to welcome the Class of 2024, congratulate newly employed staff and greet returning students. The convocation opened with scenes of students on campus, all adhering to the guidelines that the college has put in place in order to maintain safety as students return to Schenectady. 

Students have been moving into their rooms and adjusting to life back on campus. College Marshal and Chemistry professor Kathleen LoGiudice opened the virtual ceremony and named the recipients of the Stillman Prize as well as the students who were awarded the Dean’s List for the previous year. 

Following Profesor LoGiudice was Matt Toy ’20, Student Body President with words of advice to the first-year class. Mary Carroll, Chair of Faculty Executive Committee and Professor of Chemistry spoke next, which then transitioned to a series of videos from upperclassmen giving advice. The advice ranged from joining clubs to reaching out to professors early on into the term. 

President David Harris concluded the ceremony by reminding students to remain vigilant in following the protocols and procedures that have been laid out by the college administration to keep our community as safe as possible. He also mentioned how important it is to continually engage in difficult conversations including diversity, inclusion and equity.

At the end of the video there were reminders for several events that will be held virtually this year including the annual Club Expo and Minerva Open House.