Field Hockey Earn National Honors

Tyler Mar, Columnist

The Dutchwomen of Union College’s Field Hockey team has been nationally recognized as a team and individually for the 2019 season by the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA). This is not the first time the Dutchwomen have earned such high accolades. The Dutchwomen have earned the Zag Field Hockey/NFHCA Division III National Academic Team
Award for the seventh consecutive year. Additionally, 12 student-athletes earned individual recognition and were named to the Zag Field Hockey/NFHCA Division III National Academic Squad.

To earn a spot on the Division III National Academic Squad, student-athletes must achieve a cumulative grade-point-average of 3.30 or higher through the first semester or trimester of the 2010-2020 academic year. This rigorous academic threshold was achieved by nearly half the team, with 12 of the team’s 27 student-athletes earning the honor. Seniors Brooke Cleveland, Quinn Relihan, and Jenna Smith capped their final season by earning the honor for the fourth consecutive season. While sophomores Emma Puhalski, Katherine Sadak and AnnaTrancozo were named once again. Several student-athletes earned the honor for their first time, junior Mary Beth Rudolf; sophomore Sydney Walters and First-years Emily Dawson, Isabel Lubin, Eliza Munns, and Caroline Werner.

In addition to the 12 individual honors awarded, the NFHCA recognized the entire Union College Field Hockey team for consistently producing high-achieving students. After the fall trimester, Union’s 27 student-athletes combined for a cumulative 3.38 GPA, easily achieving the standard for national recognition.

Union College’s Dutchwomen join the ranks of 147 other Division III teams to have earned the prestigious academic distinction. The capable young women of the Union College Field Hockey team have demonstrated the capability of Union students to succeed across multiple disciplines. Not only did the Dutchwomen excel on the field, but they also excelled in the classroom across diverse majors and disciplines.