Greta Thunberg delivers speech at UN Climate Action Summit

Akriti Dhasmana, Staff Writer

Environmental activist Greta Thunberg delivered an impassioned speech at the United Nations (UN) Climate Action Summit urging world leaders to mobilize their efforts for overturning the effects of climate change.

The UN Climate Action Summit that took place at the organization’s New York headquarters had several renowned figures in attendance including dozens of heads of state, government and business leaders from around the world, the UN News reported.

In her address to the gathering of prominent figures, Thunberg said bluntly, “You are failing us, but the young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you and if you choose to fail us, I say, we will never forgive you.”

Antonio Guterres, the UN Secretary General launched the summit by declaring it to be a climate action summit, reiterating the urgency for immediate action by world leaders. “This is not a climate negotiation summit. You don’t negotiate with nature. This is a climate action summit.” he said to the UN News.

The 16-year old Swedish activist sailed across the Atlantic Ocean to attend the Summit in New York in a zero carbon emissions solar powered racing yatch, The Guardian reported.

The voyage began from Plymouth and took two weeks to complete. Thunberg made this trip via boat because she does not support the aviation industry’s large emission of polluting gases, The Guardian reported.

Several Union Students also participated in the the Albany Youth Climate Strike which was the local initiative in the national student walkout in protest demanding action on climate change.