A Very Unbiased Guide to the Great, Incredible Ultimate Frisbee

Joe Maher, Staff Writer

I am a very unbiased and great writer writing about a sport that my feelings for are, again, very unbiased.

This article is about the fantastic sport of ultimate Frisbee and because it is so well written and unbiased, I even interviewed the captain of the Union College team Joe Maher, who is, coincidentally, a member of the Concordiensis staff as well.

Who knew? But, before anything else, I want to address some misconceptions about Ultimate Frisbee. Here we go.

Misconception one: ultimate Frisbee is not a sport.

Many people think that all the team does is throw Frisbees back and forth or go around throwing at targets. That is Frisbee golf, not ultimate Frisbee. Ultimate Frisbee is closer to a football and handball mix. The ultimate player cuts and tries to catch a disc thrown at them and, if they catch it, then the player cannot move and has to throw it to the next player until they make it into the endzone and score.

Misconception two: since ultimate is a club sport, it is not intense.

All ultimate Frisbee in college is club. There are DI, DII and DIII levels and each school competes in tournaments that culminates in a “sectionals,” “regionals,” and “nationals” tournaments. The games get very intense, competitive and stressful when it comes down to the final few points.

Misconception three: the writer of this article is biased in favor of it. I am unbiased. Reread the first paragraph of this article about how unbiased I am if you are still skeptical.

Misconception four: Frisbee is just a sport people join, because they smoke a lot of weed and want to have fun.

Okay, so maybe that fits some people, but that is just because it is college. Everyone wants to have fun. That does not detract from the sport and competitive nature of the sport. But, it is a fun sport and everyone has a great time.

Okay, now that you, the reader, have a better understanding of what Frisbee is and how unbiased I am, let’s get to this interview with the magnificent and electrifying ultimate Frisbee captain – Joe Maher.

Author Joe Maher: Welcome, Captain Joe Maher, can you tell me a little about the sport you play?

Captain Joe Maher: Hi, Author Joe Maher, thanks for the interview and I can talk about this sport.

Why I love it so much is because the Union College team, the Electric City Plastic, or ECP, has the perfect mindset towards the sport.

They are intense enough and care so much about competing, but also are laid back enough to make it a fun and accepting environment.

We practice every day, but they’re always fun and nothing is mandatory. We do so many fun tournaments and everyone on the team has gotten so close. They’re basically my family.

Author JM: Well that sounds fantastic, as an unbiased and reliable source, I had no idea what this sport entailed, but now you’ve convinced me that it is very fun and a very good team to join.

Could you elaborate on just how cool everyone playing the sport is?

Captain JM: Why absolutely, Author Joe Maher.

Ultimate Frisbee players tend to be some of the coolest students out there.

They are the epitome of club student athletes and are very smart, very cool and have a really fun time together. Does that answer your question?

Well that interview has me, the unbiased author, convinced!

Captain Joe Maher seems to know a lot about this sport and has shown me how great a time it is to play.