Four Union tennis players received All League Honors

Isabel Yee, Columnist

Last week, the Liberty League office announced end of season honors to both the Men’s and Women’s Tennis Teams.

On the Men’s team, Ioannis Binopoulos ’22 and David Bond ’20 were recognized for their plays this season. Binopoulos and Bond earned honorable mention on the doubles courts while Binopoulos was named to the All-Conference second team in singles.

Bond and Binopoulos were in the second doubles spot for Union this season, with an overall record of 4-7 and 2-4 record in conference play.

They are the first doubles team to be honored by the conference since 2004.

Binopoulos had a very strong freshman season for the Dutchmen as he posted a 8-12 overall record. Seven of his losses came from nationally ranked teams.

He earned weekly honors from the Liberty League office, which included Rookie of the Week honors. Additionally, Binopoulos is the first Dutchmen to earn All-Conference singles honors since T.J Moor ’15.

Both Bond and Binopoulos are slated to return next season in hopes of improving the teams current 6-9 record and hope to qualify for the Liberty League Tournament.

The Women’s team was represented by Tal Pezzuco ’20 and Paige Webster ‘19. They earned a spot on the All-Conference first team in doubles and Pezzuco earned All-Conference second-team honors in singles play.

Pezzuco and Webster earned their second All-Conference honors together. They had a 10-12 record and were the Dutchwomen’s top doubles team this season and had a 5-3 record in conference play.

Tal Pezzuco was 8-13 in her third straight season in the first-singles spot, combining for an overall record of 35-29 in singles play.

This is the most wins by a Union player since 2003. Pezzuco became the first player in recent program history to earn recognition in both singles and doubles in each of her first three years.