Men’s Basketball loses to Hobart in final game of the season

Seniors+Brendan+Laing+%E2%80%9919%2C+Kevin+McNoble+%E2%80%9919%2C+and+Ben+Lee+%E2%80%9919+take+pictures+with+their+families.+Photo+courtesy+Ross+Ladue.+

Seniors Brendan Laing ’19, Kevin McNoble ’19, and Ben Lee ’19 take pictures with their families. Photo courtesy Ross Ladue.

Hunter Reinhardt, Sports Editor

The Union College Men’s Basketball team competed in a close contest against Hobart College this Saturday, losing by an incredibly narrow margin. The final score was 76-74, as Hobart College prevailed and the Dutchmen lost their final home competition and Senior Day game at the Viniar Athletic Center.

The Senior game marked the last game for Union’s three seniors, Brendan Laing ’19, Ben Lee ’19 and Kevin McNoble ’19. All seniors proved to be important contributors to the Dutchmen’s offense as they clocked in at 22 total points.

Lee ’19 and McNoble ’19 each scored nine points apiece, while Laing ’19 was responsible for four points. Laing also added two blocks and played an impressive defensive game for the Dutchmen.

In addition to the impressive performances by the senior class, their freshman teammates all had solid outings to lead Union on Senior Day. The freshman efforts were led by Mike Concannon ’22 and Mike Manley ’22. They both contributed 12 points for Union, combining for almost a third of the total points scored by the Dutchmen.

Their 12 point performances lead the team, regardless of class and position. In addition to leading the team in scoring, Concannon ’22 was responsible for a game-high of six assists.

Classmate Brian Noone also “chipped in 11 points and five boards, while sophomore Rhona Eseyade added a team-leading 10 rebounds as well.”

Both teams hit 28 field goals on the day and despite the Dutchmen connecting for one more 3 point shot, they could not outscore Hobart.

Union ended the day with a field goal percentage of .412 percent, trailing the Statesman by .55 percent, as they ended the game with a field goal percentage of .467 percent.

Hobart also outperformed the Dutchman from behind the 3-point line shooting an impressive .524, compared to Union’s .387 percent.

Free Throw performance was ather even as both teams had a free throw percentage of .600 or better.

Hobart led rebounds with a margin of 46-30. Takeaways, also demonstrated Hobart dominance as they led by a margin of 18-8. However, in regard to steals the Dutchmen outpaced the Statesman by a score of 9 to 3.

The game was filled with mixed emotions as the tough loss was paired with the departure of three impressive players and Union College students. Union’s men’s basketball ended the season with an overall record of 10-14, and a Liberty League Conference record of 6-12.

The team then looks forward to the offseason as they hope to rebuild and recruit new and talented freshman to hopefully fill the shoes of the departing seniors.

They did not qualify for the playoffs, but will certainly focus on achieving that goal next season.

The new incoming freshman class list has yet to be released, but the teams looks to add to both the offensive and defensive components of their game.