Football honors players at end of the season senior banquet

Hunter Reinhardt, Sports Editor

On February 9, the Dutchmen Football coaching staff recognized and stated their appreciation and acknowledgment the senior class has done and accomplished both athletically and academically, on and off the field.

The list of men that comprised the senior class were: Packy Brown ’19, Hunter Constable ’19, Mike Curran ’19, Alex Doolin ’19, Daniel Gottlieb ‘19, Alex Hamilton ’19, Derek Khnaizir ’19, Andrew Kielar ’19, Bobby Law ’19, Sebastien Lubrano ’19, Tucker Newman ’19, Chris Nicholas ’19, Hunter Ordukhanyan ’19, Phil Panici ’19, Quentin Poteralski ’19, George Reed ’19, Jack Reilly ’19, Pat Ryan ’19 Anthony Sarullo ’19, Ryan Schaenman ‘19, Dan Sullivan ’19 and Corey Tines ’19.

One of the first awards given out was the Ronald Plump Award, named after Union College alumni and former football player Ronald Plumb ’80.

This award was given to the team’s senior captain and defensive lineman: Phil Panici. The second award, The Richard E. Roberts ’50 Award for Dedication to the Union College Football Program, was given to another senior captain and fellow defensive player, linebacker Jack Reilly.

The award is given annually “in recognition of the player who demonstrates a tireless commitment to improving the quality of Union College football,” according to the Union Athletics website.

Fellow senior, Packy Brown received the Chris Schmid “Pay it Forward Award.” The award is given to the Union football player who best “embodies Chris Schmid’s spirit, heart, and dedication to Union football.”

Next, was the Coaches Award, which has given out by head coach Jeff Behrman. In order to receive this award the player in question, must be the “student-athlete who has contributed the most to the team during the season considering things as sportsmanship, dedication, character and contribution to the team.”

The player is chosen based on an annual vote by the football team’s coaching staff. The recipient this year was Cornerback Tucker Newman.

There was much competition for the next award, and it ended in a tie as the faculty thought there were two deserving players.

The “James Kochan ’98 Lineman Award” went to defensive lineman Bobby Law and Daniel Gioioso ’21. Senior Quarterback Will Bellamy was the recipient of he “Thomas Arcidiacono ’07 Offensive MVP Award.”

Next, Linebacker Jack Reilly received his second award of the night, the “Mark Stokes ’03 Defensive MVP Award,” given to the teams most outstanding and statistically impressive defensive player. The next award given out was the team’s Special Teams MVP.

This award was given to kicker Marcos Rodriguez ’21. Rodriguez proved to be a very reliable kicker for the Dutchmen, going 36 for 38 in extra point attempts and 4 for 6 for field goals.

The second tie of the night occurred in regards to the team’s’ “Offensive Rookie of the Year Award.” The two recipients were running back Ike Irabor ’22 and wide receiver Andre Ross Jr. ’22.

On the defensive side, the “Defensive Rookie of the Year Award” went to safety Austin St. Pierre ’22.

The last award, the team’s “Academic Award” went to tight end Patrick Ryan.

In addition, the night recognized the impressive academic accomplishments of the 19 players who were selected to the Liberty League All-Academic Team.

The list includes; Hunter Constable ’19, Stephen Crevani ’21, Alex Doolin ’19, Ryan Ehrets ’21, Connor Finn ’20, Turner Geenty ’20, John Germinerio ’21, Daniel Gottlieb ’19, Alex Hamilton ‘19, Teddy Hood ’21, Derek Khnaizir ’19, Andrew Kielar ’19, Sebastien Lubrano ’19, Phil Panici ’19, Jack Reilly ’19, Pat Ryan ’19, Ryan Schaenman ‘19, Dan Sullivan ’19 and Marc Zazzaro ’19.