Dutchman of the Week interview: Nathan Hamer ’19

By Seif Refaat, Sports Editor

Photo courtesy of Ross Ladue

Hometown: Andover, MA

Major: Mechanichal Engineering

Campus Activities: Member of Swimming & Diving team

Q: Can you briefly explain how you started Swimming & Hockey? How was your experience on the Swimming team in high school?

A: I started playing hockey really young and immediately fell in love with the game. I played up to high school where I won a couple state championships. However, I had to stop playing due to the clear size difference, but I still miss it everyday. Subsequently, I started Swimming Junior year of highschool. I started Swimming in high school which was a force; it was a 45 min drive to pool and I spent up to 40ish hours a week at the pool. But, I never regreted it; I have never been as close with a group of people as my teammates and they are the soleIy reason that I kept swimming.

Q: How has your experience been playing at Union College and the differences between high school and college?

A: It has for sure been an experience swimming at Union; there have been a lot of ups and downs through the four years, but I have some of my closest friends because of these experiences. College swimming has definitely been more of a mental challenge than high school was. While the practice are not as physically demanding as they were in high school, they take more mental toughness to make it through.

Q: Do you have any Pre-game rituals?

A: Just some deep breathing behind the blocks. Because I have no specific event, I have to be mentally flexible with any race and to be prepared to swim any race on any given weekend, and I believe the best way for me to be prepared is to take some deep breaths and just SEND IT!

Q: What are your favorite things about being on the Union Swimming team?

A: The people. I would not put myself through that pain if it were not for my teammates beside me going through the same trials and motivating me.

Q: What has been the highlight of your athletic career so far?

A: Making it through four years of collegiate swimming with people I genuinely love.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about the Swimming team?

A: We could be at the pool for up to 30 hours a week and I think everyone would be surprised how hard we actually work, if they don’t already hear Jackson Thomas Wassik complain all the time.

Q: How do you think playing a sport has influenced your experience at union?

A: It has given me structure to my day as well as a family that cannot be replaced by any means.

Q: What is your favorite thing to eat on campus?

A: Steak and cheese breakfast wrap from Reamer.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Union?

A: The people, especially my Swimming & Diving teammates.

Q: What is your favorite restaurant in Schenectady and why?

A: Druthers, because who doesn’t like a good beer and great bar food.

Q: What is a fun fact about you that most people don’t know?

A: I didn’t start full-time swimming until junior year of high school

Q 12: What are your interests outside of Swimming?

A: Hockey, Lifting, Catan, wrestling with my dogs, being at the beach and eating food for sure.

Q: Who/ What serves as your biggest inspiration?

A: Everyone in my family, and a lot of my teammates: shout out to Seif, Hunter, Kerry, Claire, JQ, Zach and Luis. And Josh Bridges of course.

Q: What are your goals for after graduation?

A: Find a job, being happy and planning for the future.