A Review of Club Dragonfly

Nickky Obi, Fiona Shyne, and Eastwood Yeboah, Contributing Writers

If you are a person who enjoys musical theater with a pinch of comedy, Club Dragonfly is the place for you. Randy Wyatt, the director, put this play together out of love for the cabaret, which is a form of theater that includes songs, dances, and drama. From the different vocal ranges to the comedic commentary, these actors will have you fully invested and even make you feel a part of the show. With the use of the platform Gamiotics, the audience had the opportunity to dictate what they saw on stage during different parts of the show. Through Club Dragonfly’s tribute to Joe Raposo, the audience saw how relatable childhood songs were to their current lives. The cabaret showcased the incredible talent we have at Union but ultimately could have benefited from greater variety. 

After the audience made their first Gamiotics choice of the night, they were quickly introduced to five amazing Club Dragonfly members who set the stage for the rest of the night. Each singer utilized their own unique vocal register that was highlighted by the songs they sang. There is no better example than Matthew Parr’s rendition of “I Don’t Want to Live on the Moon.” This powerful performance delivered exactly what it needed to, with Parr’s gestures proving to be both entertaining and engaging. I do wish there was more time to highlight voices on a broader vocal spectrum, giving opportunities for those who have a deeper or higher register to showcase their singing abilities. Nonetheless, the members of Club Dragonfly did an excellent job, demonstrating once again that talent at Union is alive and well.

It was clear that Club Dragonfly knew its audience well by choosing songs they knew brought them back to their childhoods. From “Being Green” to “When Will my Life Begin”, this production was packed-filled with classics that would make anyone nostalgic for their formative years. I was particularly drawn to the song “A Little Bit” sung by Arundhati Gore. Not only did this song showcase Gore’s incredible voice, but this performance illustrated the value of having the intimate setting of a cabaret. Gore engaged directly with the audience, enticing the entire room to clap along to the beat of the song. This simple action brought the room to life in a way crowded theater halls could not accomplish. 

However, where the song selections fell short was in their lack of variety. Hearing nothing but ballads for the bulk of the production began to feel very monotonous. It seems every song was meant to be a show stopper, but when the show did not stop I couldn’t help but feel a little fatigued from the repetition.   

That being said, the inclusion of the waiters’ brought a fresh burst of comic relief that cut through the repetition of the performances. Between musical performances, the waiters would act out skits, in part chosen by the audience through the Gamiotic platform. This was a great way to increase engagement from the audience, having them consider whether they want to see the “evil twin,” “strange phobia,” or “wannabe popstar.” The waiters provided a much-needed break from the intensity of the musical performances. However, this aspect was potentially underutilized, with each skit only lasting a couple of minutes.

Altogether, Wyatt’s Club Dragonfly is an immersive experience right here on campus. This once-in-a-lifetime experience combines pure musical talent with ideas of embracing the unexpected, delivering a great opportunity to support the Union community. Wyatt wanted, in his own words, for “students to learn how to create an intimate performing style…One of the coolest things in my view about what cabaret can bring to the table is the performers find a new entryway into a song we’ve heard before.” Both Wyatt and the Club Dragonfly cast did something unheard of at Union College and while we feel like some aspects were underutilized, it was a valuable experience for the Union community.

Fiona Shyne ’23, Eastwood Yeboah ’25, and Nickky Obi ’25 (Left to right) (Divine Obi)