Spring Sport Senior Athlete Profile: Emma Driscoll ’21

Annie O'Donnell, Staff Writer

Emma Driscoll ’21 is an Economics major and Political Science minor from Westwood, Massachusetts. In addition to being a member of the women’s lacrosse team, she is also involved in the Women in Economics Club and the Economics Mentorship Program.

Q: Can you briefly explain how you got started in lacrosse and what was your experience like before Union?

My dad suggested that I try playing a new sport, lacrosse, when I was in either 3rd or 4th grade and I started out playing youth town lacrosse for a few years. I loved playing and wanted to continue to play year-round which is when I joined the Mass Elite Lacrosse club team in 6th grade. I continued to play for Mass Elite through my senior year of high school. The opportunity to play year-round and travel across the country for tournaments contributed to my love for the game and is when I knew I wanted to continue playing in college if that was an opportunity presented to me. 

Q: How has your athletic experience been at Union and what is the difference between your prior experience and college?

I would not trade a second of my experience playing lacrosse at Union for anything in the world. It has truly made my college experience and shaped me into the person that I am today. You have the opportunity to learn so much about yourself through being a student-athlete and I’ve learned life lessons that I otherwise would not have been able to learn had I not played a college sport. I will definitely look back on my four years as an athlete at Union and remember them as some of the best times of my life.

Q: Do you have any pregame rituals?

I always have my hair braided, drink a Celsius beforehand, and listen to our warmup playlist before we start warming up to get myself in the right mindset for the game. 

Q: What is your favorite thing about lacrosse?

Being able to play with some of my best friends and continue to play the sport I’ve loved since I was 8 years old! I also love how competitive the atmosphere is, particularly with our team, it makes it even more enjoyable because we’re always pushing each other to be better. 

Q: What has been the highlight of your athletic career so far?

I think it would have to be our game against Ithaca this year, even though we lost it was one of, if not the most competitive and fun game I’ve been a part of in all 4 years of playing lacrosse at Union. Being able to put up 22 goals against the at the time #8 team in the country was incredible and was only one example of the amount of work we’ve been putting in even before we found out we would have a season this year. We came in as the underdogs and fought hard to end up in the closest game they will probably have all season and proved ourselves to the league with that game. Playing under the lights with the most fans we’ve had since I’ve been a student here also increased the excitement and pushed us to fight even harder.

Q: What is the one thing people would be surprised to know about your sport?

That women’s lacrosse actually involves contact, many assume that only men’s lacrosse involves any contact but that’s not true! 

Q: How do you think your sport has influenced your experience at Union?

In addition to the usual lessons you learn from being a student-athlete such as time management and leadership skills, it has also been where I’ve met some of my best friends that I know will be around for a long time. Nobody really understands what it’s like to be on a team and form those relationships until you’ve actually done it, and there’s even such a difference between high school and college that makes those relationships that much more meaningful. 

Q: What will you miss about being on a team at Union?

The excitement and hype of going into a gameday because there is nothing I live for more than those days, and I’ve made sure to soak every single game in this season because we never know which will be our last – one of many things we learned after last season. I’ll also miss the team atmosphere and being able to play with my friends every day.

Q: Any advice to younger athletes?

Don’t take any of your time as an athlete for granted!!! You never know how much time you have, how many games you’ll have left, or any of that, and we learned that lesson with the pandemic. I wish I took the time to enjoy and be more in the moment for my time as an athlete in high school and in my first few years at Union, so I’m trying to make up for all of that now in my last year as an athlete ever! 

Q: What is your favorite thing to eat on campus?

Definitely a Panzanella Panini from 807, or chicken tenders and straight fries with a chocolate milkshake from Skellar it’s a toss-up.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Union?

The close-knit community and how small it is, it really allows you to form those connections with people you may not have otherwise ever come across had you attended a larger college or university. 

Q: What is your favorite restaurant in Schenectady and why?

Daley’s on Yates which I only discovered last year but it has such a great modern vibe and the food is amazing, definitely a great spot to visit when your parents are coming for the day or weekend!

Q: What is a fun fact about you that most people don’t know?

I am allergic to gelatin (it’s surprisingly in more foods than you would expect)! 

Q: Who or what serves as your biggest inspiration?

My parents have both raised me to be a very independent, goal-oriented person and I learned to be that way through watching how hard they have both worked throughout their lives to help me get to where I am today. I don’t know where I would be without their support and constant encouragement to push myself and always strive to be better.

Q: What are your goals after graduation or do you have any post-graduation plans? 

I’ll be starting a full-time job at Fidelity Investments out of their Smithfield, RI office in July as a Client Experience Associate!