Joe Biden Elected 46th President of the United States

Courtesy of Hillary Clinton via Instagram

Chris Doyle, World/Business Editor

On November 7, 2020-eight years to the day after Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan conceded in 2012 to the Obama/Biden ticket-former Vice President Joe Biden was elected the 46th President of the United States of America. Senator Kamala Harris of California was elected the 49th Vice President of the United States of America. 

CNN projected the Biden/Harris ticket to have won Pennsylvania at 11:28 a.m. Eastern Time on Saturday, November 7, pushing them past the 270 electoral vote threshold needed to win the presidency. Other news outlets quickly followed suit. The Associated Press has called Pennsylvania, Nevada, and Arizona for President-Elect Biden, but others have refrained from calling the southwestern states as more votes are scheduled to come in throughout the weekend. President Trump has not conceded. 

Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania and grew up in Wilmington, Delaware. He graduated from the University of Delaware and Syracuse University College of Law. After briefly serving as a public defender in Delaware, he was elected to the New Castle City Council and then became one of the youngest people elected to the United States Senate at the age of 29. Shortly after winning his election, his wife Nelia and daughter Naomi were killed in a car accident, and his two sons were severely injured. He would remarry to Jill Tracey Jacobs, who doubled as a college English professor while serving as Second Lady of the United States. Senator Biden spent thirty-six years in the Senate working on issues related to the judiciary, foreign policy, and the middle class. He had previously attempted in 1988 and 2008 to win the Democratic Nomination for President. Senator Barack Obama chose him to serve as his vice president in 2008. The two would win reelection in 2012. For eight years, Vice President Biden served as a point-man on economic recovery, the Iraq War, diplomacy, and senate liaisons. He was once again confronted with travesty when his son-Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden-succumbed to brain cancer in 2015. In the twilight of the Obama Administration, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom with Distinction, an honor that has most recently only been reserved for Pope John Paul II, President Ronald Regan, and Secretary of State Colin Powell. He will be the oldest person to become president when inaugurated.

Kamala Devi Harris was born in Oakland, California to Dr. Shyamala Gopalan-an Indian immigrant and breast cancer researcher-and Professor Donald Harris-a Jamaican immigrant and economics professor at Stanford. She grew up in Oakland and Montreal, Canada before attending Howard University, a historically black college. She attended law school at UC Berkeley School of Law. After serving as a city prosecutor, Vice President-elect Harris served as the 27th District Attorney of San Francisco where she fought corruption, school truancy, and lowered incarceration rates for non-violent drug offenders. She was elected Attorney General of California in 2011, where she fought for larger settlements against the big banks in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis. Vice President-elect Harris was elected to the United States Senate in 2016 where she served on the Intelligence and Judiciary Committees. President-elect Biden chose her as his vice presidential nominee a week before the convention in August of 2020. She is married to Doug Emhoff-an entertainment industry lawyer-and has two stepchildren from his previous marriage. Vice President-elect Harris is the first woman, black person, and Asian-American to serve as vice president.