Student-Athletes Elected to Phi Beta Kappa

Isabelle Yee, Sports Editor

On April 30, Connor Finn ‘20, Lisa Spagnuolo ‘21, and Reid Nichols ‘20  were inducted into the Union College chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. 

Phi Beta Kappa was founded in 1776 is the most prestigious academic honor society celebrating excellence in the liberal arts and sciences education. Union College is New York State’s oldest chapter the fifth-oldest in the United States, inducting students since 1817. To be eligible for Phi Beta Kappa, students must be of junior or senior status and the election is based on scholarship and character, emphasizing intellectual maturity. 

Finn is a four-year member of the Union College football team. He is a political science major with minors in history and environmental science & policy. Finn has also been named to the Liberty League All-Academic team all three seasons, a member of the Union Scholars Program, a member of the History Honor Society (Pi Alpha Theta), and the Political Science Honor Society (Pi Sigma Alpha). Just recently, Finn was recognized to the NFF Hampshire Honor Society. The NFF Hampshire Society is comprised of college football student-athletes of all NCAA divisions who have a cumulative grade-point average of 3.20 or better and were either starters or significant contributors in the 2019 season. 

Spagnulo is a three-year member of the women’s golf team majoring in neuroscience. She is one of the eight junior inductees and the only upperclassman in the athletic department with a 4.0 GPA. Spagnulo is a two-year member of the Liberty League All-Academic Team and was named a WGCA All-American Scholar last year. In addition to Spagnulo’s academic achievements, she is also a very successful golfer. She is ranked third in school history in both single-season and career scoring average. 

Nichols is the student manager of the women’s hockey team and a two-year member of the women’s outdoor track team. She is an economics and mathematics double major with a minor in computer science. In the 2017-2018 track season, she posted the top-three 100 times and the top-two 200 times for Union and was part of the 4×100 relay at the Liberty League Championship.  Nichols is very involved on campus as she is the Vice President of finance for student forum and is President of the women’s club hockey team. She also served as Vice President of finance for her sorority, Gamma Phi Beta in 2018.