Men’s Hockey Earn Awards

Isabelle Yee, Sports Editor

On Thursday, April 9 the Union College Men’s Hockey Team announced its team award winners for the 2019-2020 season. Two juniors, one sophomore and three freshmen men were awarded honors. 

Junior forward and captain, Josh Kosack, was the recipient of the Coaches Award and the team’s Scott Richardson Unsung Hero Award. On the ice, Kosack played in all 37 games and ended the season with two goals and five assists. Off the ice, Kosack started a charitable initiative called “Kozi’s Kids”.  Kozi’s Kids is a program he started to make better use of unused game tickets. The unused game tickets were given to local families in order to bring the Schenectady community to Union Hockey games. 

Junior goalie, Darion Hanson, was named the team’s Most Valuable Player. Hanson started in 36 games this season, had a save average of .910 and a 2.79 goals-against average. He ended the season second in the nation with a total of 1,007 saves for the season. 

The sophomore defenseman,  Fletcher Fineman, was awarded the Charlie N. Morrison award. This award is given to the player who participates in extracurricular activities in addition to demonstrating academic interest and achievement. 

Freshman, Merek Pipes, was given the Thomas Van Arden Dukehart Academic Award

Freshman forward, Matt Allen, was named the team’s Most Improved Player. Allen played in 17 games this season, recording seven points. 

Lastly, freshman defenseman Dylan Anhorn was named the team’s Rookie of the Year. Anhorn finished third on the team in scoring tallying six goals and 10 assists. 

In addition to the team awards, the ECAC conference named freshmen Gabriel Seger and Dylan Anhorn to the ECAC Hockey’s 2019-20 All-Rookie Team. Gabriel Seger finished the season second on them in scoring with 22 points, which were seven goals and 15 assists. His 22 points also tied him for second among first-year forwards in the conference. In the final 11 games of the season, Seger recorded 4 goals and 6 assists. As for Dylan Anhorn, he was third on the team in scoring with 16 points, which were comprised of 6 goals and 10 assists. Against all first years in the conference, Anhorn finished fifth in scoring and blocked 46 shots which tied him for third.