Field hockey struggles offensively in loss to FDU-Florham

Hunter Reinhardt, Sports Editor

This past Saturday Union’s field hockey team lost to Fairleigh Dickinson University-Florham (FDU) by a score of two to zero.

Despite a strong defensive effort by the Dutchwomen in the first half, their offensive woes were too much to overcome.

Their failure to drive down the field and score overshadowed the defensive performance and ultimately cost them the game.

The two teams faced off at Robert Shields Field at FDU’s Florham campus in New Jersey.

The game got off to a slow start as neither team scored a single goal in the first two quarters of regulation. Despite the lack of scoring by either team in the first half, FDU’s offense was able to apply a lot of pressure on Union’s defensive squad which was led by goalkeeper Heather Poisson ’21.

Union was outshot by FDU, by a margin of 11-0. If not for a tremendous first half performance by Poisson, which included eight saves, the game would certainly not have been all tied up going into the third quarter.

Included in her eight saves was a crucial block during a penalty stroke in the second quarter. Her defense also racked up a save before the half ended. FDU’s offense came out firing in the start of the third quarter and scored a goal in only the first minute and a half of play.

The first goal of the game came from FDU’s midfielder Allison Attardi ’19. However, after the goal, Union’s offense began heating up and applying pressure to the Devil’s defense. They made six shots in the remainder of the third quarter and dramatically upped their first half performance, despite none of the shots on goal being successful.

Union continued its attack on goal, but similarly to the previous quarters, they did not score in the fourth quarter.

None of their shots were successful and FDU added another goal to make the score two to zero by the end of regulation.

Despite the tough loss, their were standout players for the Dutchwomen. The most notable player being goalkeeper Poisson. She finished the day with 11 saves and only allowed two goals to score.

The offensive matchup was definitely skewed in FDU’s favor, as they outshot Union 16-11. However, Union did outshoot the Devils by a margin of 11-5 during the second half of regulation.

In regards to penalty corners, Union also had an advantage leading the Devils by a margin of 10 to eight. The loss while upsetting, was a non-conference game so the loss was not as crucial as one against a Liberty League Conference rival.

FDU’s record improved to an impressive 6-2 for the year while Union’s record fell to 2-3. The Dutchwomen’s next game will be on Wednesday when they go to New Jersey once more to take on William Paterson University.

After their next rendevous in New Jersey, they will return to Frank Bailey Field and face-off against Liberty League Conference rival, Ithaca College.

Their game against the bombers will be September 28, this Saturday at one p.m. as the Dutrchwomen attempt to improve on their record and standing in the conference.