Dutchman Interview of the Week: Simon H. Bohn ’20

Hunter Reinhardt, Sports Editor

Hometown: Ledyard, Connecticut

Major: Neuroscience

Campus Activities: Member of the Crew Team, Sigma Phi Fraternity and Student Forum.

Q: Can you briefly explain how you started rowing? How was your experience on the crew team in high school?

A: I started doing crew as recovery for tearing my ACL when I was playing soccer. This occured during my senior year of high school. It was a great experience our high school coach was an Olympic gold medalist, which was an incredible experience. Also, my closest friend was a rower, and it was a great experience being able to do a sport with him.

Q: How has your experience been playing at Union College and the differences between high school and college?

A: It’s been overall a very good and positive experience. My high school team wasn’t very big, or particularly competitive, as opposed to rowing at the college level, which is much more intense. Overall, I would say high school crew was more about having fun and learning the basics, while rowing at Union is way more competitive and challenging.

Q: Do you have any pre-game rituals?

A: Not really, just hanging out with my friends/teammates.

Q: What are your favorite things about being on the Union crew team?

A: My favorite things, even though it sounds cliche, are the comradery and getting to know and become friends with my teammates. Freshman year, most of my closest friends were on my team and this continues to be the case. Additionally, I love the challenge that comes with rowing not just the physical grit, but also the mental toughness factor surrounding it.

Q: What has been the highlight of your athletic career so far?

A: I would probably say placing 25th in the nation at Skier Cross and qualifying for nationals. Although I love rowing, I was a noted and successful skier in high school.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about the crew team?

A: Honestly, I don’t know, I don’t think anything about us would surprise anyone.

Q: How do you think playing a sport has influenced your experience at Union?

A: It has definitely helped me stay more focused academically and has helped me tremendously with time allocation and management. I have noticed a clear difference in grades, compared to in season, as opposed to when I was not part of a sports team.

Q: What is your favorite thing to eat on campus?

A: My favorite thing to eat on campus is probably the pizza at the Garlic Nott!

Q: What is your favorite thing about Union?

A: My favorite thing about Union is the strong sense of community here that you can not find anywhere else. The people are friendly and inviting it’s just an all-around great place to live and go to school.

Q: What’s your favorite restaurant in Schenectady and why?

A: My favorite restaurant in Schenectady is probably Chipotle. Good price to quantity ratio.

Q: What is a fun fact about you that most people don’t know?

A: That’s a tough one. I guess the fact that I have never been to Canada is surprising to most people.

Q: What are your interests outside of rowing?

A: I have been involved in Student Forum since freshman year and it’s something that I care very deeply and am very passionate about. I am also a member of the Sigma Phi Fraternity and involved in numerous academic and extracurricular committees.

Q: Who/what serves as your biggest inspiration?

A: Probably my grandfather. He came over to the U.S. as a German immigrant during World War II. He was very poor and shared a one-room apartment with his seven siblings and parents. His hard work and determination serve as great examples for me and it drives me every day to be the best I can be at whatever I put my mind to.

Q: What are your goals for after graduation?

A: I am looking to go into the pharmaceutical industry and hopefully pursue a career selling equipment and medication.