Multiple players receive Liberty League honors in lacrosse

Isabel Yee, Columnist

Coming off a very successful season, the Union College men’s lacrosse team earned recognition with a school record-tying eight All-Liberty League selections as well as the Conference Coaching Staff of the Year award.

The eight All-Conference selections are tied for the most in a single season in program history, matching teams from 2016, 2015, 2012 and 2008.

Ed Winters ’20 led the Dutchmen as he was the only named to the All-Liberty League First-Team.

This past season was Winter’s first season as a starting defenseman. He led the team with 30 caused turnovers and grabbed 43 ground balls.

He is ranked fourth in the Liberty League and 43rd the North Region in caused turnovers per game.

Jack Santilli ’19, a standout goalie, was named to the All-Liberty League Second-Team. He had a 13-3 record (pre-NCAA tournament) with 7.90 goals against average and a .596 save percentage.

Santilli is the only Liberty League goalie to rank in the top two in both categories. In addition, he is ranked 14th nationally in GAA and 18th in save percentage.

Alex Newhouse ’19 was ranked second in the Liberty League with a .617 winning percentage (137 of 222) at the X.

He is also ranked third in the conference with 78 ground balls. Newhouse was ranked 48th in Division III in face-off winning percentage before the start of the NCAA tournament.

Jimmy Connelly ’20 was also named to the All-Liberty League Second-Team. He ranked third on the team with 43 ground balls and 15 turnovers.

The sophomore trio of Kieran McGovern ’21, Hayden Frey ’21 and Keaton McCann ’21 round out the All-Liberty League Second-Team for the Dutchmen. McGovern ‘21 scored 11 goals with two assists, with seven of those goals occurring in conference play.

Frey ranks second on the team in scoring. He had 32 goals and 10 assists on attack. In conference play, Frey had 13 goals and six assists for a total of 19 points.

McCann is Union’s leading scorer with 17 goals in seven Liberty League games and ranked third overall with 30 goals and 10 assists.

He is also the only Dutchmen to score at least once in all 16 games this past season.

Ryan Puglisi ’21 earned Honorable Mention All-Liberty League. Puglisi ranked second on the team with 22 caused turnovers and picked up 29 ground balls.

As for Head coach Paul Wehrum and his coaching staff which is comprised of associate head coach Derek Witheford ’11, and assistant coaches Stefan Basile ’15 and Richard Aberle received Coaching Staff of the Year.

This is the second time Wehrum has won the award during his time at Union.

This past season, the Dutchmen were ranked fifth in preseason polling but were able to have a second-place finish in the Liberty League.

This is the highest national ranking the lacrosse team has had since 2015.