Woman of the Week (WOW): Hannah Soliman ’22

Hannah Soliman ‘22

Jackson Giammattei, Staff writer

WOW: Hannah Soliman 

Nominated By: Yani 

Nomination: I am nominating Hannah because she’s an incredible friend and student leader. During the month of Ramadan, as an MSA leader, she organized food for members of MSA to breakfast at least once every week. I’d love for her to be recognized for how much work and love she puts into the things she cares about. 

What are your proudest accomplishments?

I innovated a new research paradigm in psycholinguistics through my thesis while rebuilding and leading the Muslim Student Association throughout the pandemic! I’m proud of every way I’ve fostered every aspect of my identity as a student while being at Union.

What are you passionate about?

I’m passionate about painting, neuroscience, languages, theology and helping others, especially kids and older adults! Anything that sparks my curiosity, I never hold back from exploring it no matter what.

Who do you look up to?

I look up to my parents, their career accomplishments and the balance between their personalities and how they raised me contributed so much to who I am. There’s not a day that goes by when I’m not in awe of them.

What does being a woman at Union mean to you?

Being a woman at Union means showing up for who I am as a woman in the STEM degree I am pursuing, and taking advantage of every possible resource a liberal arts college has to offer that’s applauded for its women in STEM.

How do you think Union can do a better job at supporting women on our campus?

INTERSECTIONALITY! Just because I wear a hijab doesn’t mean I bite! Social Justice programs are ineffective unless we challenge our assumptions about our sisters in ALL faiths and cultures, especially when recognizing our assumptions from patriarchal political propaganda. Make space for your Muslim women by cheering for them the way you cheer and encourage others. If I saw more of that at my time here, I couldn’t fully articulate the difference that would’ve made for me.